Thursday, February 25, 2010

[Meme]: Untitled

I have been invited by Agila to propagate this Meme on untitled (random) abstract poetry. But a foreword.

It was around sixth standard I suppose, that while reading some novel with words that I didn't understand that I was nagging my mom for meanings of one word after another. After a couple of words, she got fed up and told me to refer to the dictionary. Alas, if she knew that she had committed an innocent act with grievous consequences. At that moment, I stopped caring what words meant though my vocabulary from then on continued growing frantically. I mean seriously. I have no clue what grievous means or frantically - I just assume some abstract meaning from hearing the phrase "grievous injuries" or "frantic pace" so many times. Or for that matter I don't know what abstract means.

So I broke down the meme: Random Abstract Poetry. I assume only one meaning for "abstract" and google reiterated it for me (This was the first hit when I wrote the post). I know poetry, of course. And knowing some math, I know what random is. So here goes (think you are rapping when you read this)

There is nothing called a "real" random number generator
They say.
But we all want one nonetheless
They say.
Here we show, Here we show
A psuedo random number generator,
that is not so psuedo
but so crudo
Just ask a kid at night
to count the stars as he might
And for each kid you pick
you get a truly random quick

Ok, so this is abstract (truly nature style: note the emphasis on "here we show", for the uninitiated, see this). Its random in two ways: its about random and it is quite random, I am surprised I was not under influence when I wrote this. And because it is random, it can be random poetry. It is difficult to refute the last point I hope.

So now I am tagging Amshuman who not only knows the meanings of the words he knows (nice play on words eh?) but also is an amazing writer!

6 comments:

Cosmos said...

Wow Srini!! That was real fast!! Within a few hours of my posting on my blog and within a few minutes of you reading my post.. Hats off to you!! :)

Your creative genius amazes me... with that rather 'quirky' sense of humour ;), your random abstract poem was quite the entertainer.. :)

Cheers!
P.S. Post more often! :D

Cosmos said...

Strange as it may see, I never thought of the first google hit for abstract.. pity I am doing my PhD! :D

nomad said...

And he doffed his hat. ( OK I think I know what doff means.. or do I? ;) )

Cosmos said...

Will agree with you there.. completely... I have lived on just guessing meanings from the context.. So much so that if you now give me a new word (that I have never heard of), I would still be able to come up with a close enough guess... Helped me greatly during my GRE
:P

amshuman.r said...

machi seriously the first hit was awesome.. also the poem itself is superb..

I thought maybe there will be a play in numbers too...

Himanshu said...

//I just assume some abstract meaning from hearing //--I am intrigued by the genuineness. Believe you me - we all do this! :-)
Its only amazing to know that you came up with this in a rather short span.. Kudos!
Enjoyed the concept, "real" random number generator finally rounding up to innocence and simplicity. Cheers Srini.. A marvelous entry to the meme..